Revelation as Enclosure & Resonance

“We are not disclosed upon, we are enclosed upon – by our own design. Salvation is the painful but promising result of revelation’s ability to fill our idolatries in order to rescue us from them and to release us from the limitations of our own enclosure.”

Temple-veil-torn

Revelation as Enclosure not Disclosure: God inhabits the enclosed world of our understanding in order to break out of it (the temple curtain) and lead us past the rupture into a new plain of understanding. Instead of a sacred writ condescended from on high to our world of great need, revelation sneaks into the cracks of our enclosed knowledge base with chameleon stealth. It accommodates and appropriates the world of words, images and kinetic cultic practices that make up the human experience. Nearly 90-95% of these forays into our our world are based upon our world, with the remaining 5% representing the divine mustard seed, that once planted in the soil of worldly cults, organically transforms and subverts the very fiber of the world we inhabit. It brings along with it the tools of deconstruction that undermine the enclosure’s boundaries thereby releasing us to freely and failingly emerge into a new world of words, images and kinetic possibilities.

We are not disclosed upon, we are enclosed upon – by our own design. Salvation is the painful but promising result of revelation’s ability to fill our idolatries in order to rescue us from them and to release us from the limitations of our own enclosure.

Revelation as Resonance not Correspondence: Knowledge of God comes within this enclosed resonance chamber. We experience a resonance with existing realities previously unengaged rather than the pejorative and pernicious race for novelty. Nothing is new under the sun as we should expect, but only because it is not new to God – but to us – there are many new things. They are not new because they have been brought into existence, but because they have been discovered for the first time. Usually ideas like this are being discovered by multiple people in multiple locations at the same time. An established voice gets the credit but by no means is the progenitor of that idea. As such, it is better to understand new ideas as a resonance of ideas that pinball and echo between enough people and places that eventually the new becomes normal.

Claiming that something is simply novel and needs to be bypassed is a conversation stopper designed, at times, to comfort the befuddled specialist in their ignorance and incapacitation for new discoveries. At other times, it is a useful filter for those things which are only novel, without design for substance or health.  So how do we tell the difference? That will be covered in a different post.

Conclusion: God’s act to reveal is not a disclosure, it is the intrepid rescue from the enclosures that we board up around us – those that God enters, only to break us free from. We are able to exit through the cacophony of polyphonic resonance – resonance that echoes from God’s deep mode of being in a world that God accommodates even after he’s been un-invited from the world he constantly re-creates.

Be Sociable, Share!